In industrial automation, Python becomes surprisingly versatile in software engineering challenges for factory automation. For example, an extremely popular HMI/SCADA software called, “Ignition”, by “Inductive Automation” uses Python as a scripting language.
Python, allows you to run the program as soon as you make the changes to the script, is called an interpreted language, and makes revising and troubleshooting programs much quicker than other languages.
Often in the real world of an Industrial Python implementation, there will be two control loops used in Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT).
The Python process outer loop cycle may process iterations in minutes or months from databases to the PLC as recipes or product improvement efficiencies, while the PLC logic inner loop process will regulate timing-critical interactions to the real world within milliseconds.
As you may know, there are several types of protocols or languages in the industry to communicate to a variety of programmable logic controllers.
To communicate to vendor-specific hardware platforms, communication drivers for these protocols are supported in Python libraries such as “pycomm” for Allen Bradley Ethernet/IP and “python-snap7” for Siemens S7 series PLCs.
See a complete list of libraries here: http://bit.ly/PyProtocols
- What is Python?
- Getting Started with Python
- Python Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- What is Tkinter?
- What is Raspberry Pi?
- How to setup and use the Raspberry Pi GIO Breadboard
- What is OpenPLC Runtime for Raspberry Pi?
- What is the Raspberry Pi OpenPLC Editor?
- How to Build a SCADA HMI for Raspberry Pi
- Raspberry Pi 4 2-4GB with 32 GB, preloaded with Raspbian OS
- Starter kit Raspberry Pi (LEDs, connectors, switches, and breadboard) similar to Amazon Freenove Ultimate Starter Kit for Raspberry Pi 4 B 3 B+, 434 Pages Detailed Tutorials, Python C Java, 223 Items, 57 Projects, Learn Electronics and Programming, Solderless Breadboard
- Personal Computer running Windows 10 operating system
- Python version 3.9 http://bit.ly/Python-DL
- Tkinter - python default GUI interface module (from tkinter import *)
- Pycharm - a Python IDE module http://bit.ly/PyCharm-DL
- OpenPLC - open source PLC Runtime for Raspberry Pi http://bit.ly/OPENPLC-R-Pi
- OpenPLC - open source PLC Windows 10 Editor http://bit.ly/OPENPLCedit